">

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Flying Dinosaurs

Update: Appears to be an almost flawless launch, from all that I see. This is great!

* * * * * *
10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
1

GO GO GO GO



UPDATE: 10:36 AM EDT 3 minutes to go. Heh, my heartrate is increasing!

UPDATE: 10:31 AM EDT 8 minutes to go. Looking good

UPDATE: 10:19 AM EDT 20 minutes to go.

UPDATE: 10:06 AM EDT Still a go, things looking good. 32 minutes to go.

I have had the honor an privilege to witness a launch many years ago, viewing from the causeway. If I remember correctly, that is the closest position that casual (as opposed to official and/or media) observers were allowed, and is about seven miles from the pad. The shuttle and launch assembly were visible, barely, to the naked eye. All in all, it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. Even at that distance, during the launch the air crackles with sound, and the ground vibrates. It was not just a visual and aural experience, it was infused with raw emotion, and brought tears to my eyes. I will miss this dinosaur when it is gone.

(end update)
* * * * * * *

STS-114 is still set to go, at 10:39 Am EDT today!

05pd1702-t.jpg
(photo credit: KSC/NASA)


Tagged as , , , , ,